Bible Study – Enough Money
by Abiding Love
Enough for Now — Unpacking God’s Sufficiency*
Lesson 2 – Enough Money
It’s time to be honest. We have in some way or another all thought that life would be easier or better if we just had a little more money. Just today, if you had an extra $1000, what would you do with it? (It’s not easy to start imagining, is it?)
As of writing this, the stock market had sunk 30%. Unemployment rates are rising rapidly. Companies have had to close. And instead of dreaming that there is an extra $1000 coming in, people are dealing with the economic reality of living life with less money than they had yesterday.
As we start, spend a moment to honestly assess how life has financially changed for you from before the coronavirus outbreak to this day. Separate real changes today vs. worries and fears over the future.
Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:6-19
- What ideas or phrases jump out at you from this passage?
- Paul talks about godliness with contentment. Describe what that might look like today.
- What traps and temptations might someone who loves money fall into during today’s economic climate?
- What in this passage can help when the world tempts us to base our security on money and/or panic at a moment like this?
- What does Paul say that helps prevent us from centering our self-worth on our job security or financial security/net worth?
- Contentment comes from gratitude for what you have. Have there been ways in which this time of change has helped you be grateful for things you had been taking for granted?
- Yesterday you worked at memorizing Matthew 12:32. Do you remember it? Reread it and try saying it from memory again.
CLOSE WITH THE LORD’S PRAYER, LUTHER’S MORNING OR EVENING PRAYER, or a PRAYER OF YOUR OWN
September 27, 2020
September 21, 2020
September 19, 2020