Bible Study – Enough Food
by Abiding Love
Enough for Now — Unpacking God’s Sufficiency*
Lesson 3 – Enough Food
Someone said to me today, “I feel like everything is just like normal, until I leave my house, go into the grocery store and see the panicked faces rushing between the half empty shelves.” A hoarding mentality has hit our culture.
Here’s the irony — our fear of having enough food is leading us to put on “the Quarantine 15” – namely, the extra pounds of eatting more and more comfort food. We eat too much because we are anxiously fret we won’t have enough.
This speaks to how we use food for emotional needs and how we fear not having enough. Could it be that food can be our god? Discuss that for a moment.
Scripture: Luke 12:14-34
- We read these verses a couple days ago. Notice the role of food in these verses. What wrong attitudes towards food does Jesus point out? Can you see those attitudes around you today? Can you relate to them?
- Food is often the place we go when we’re stressed and anxious. Think of a recent time you were stress eatting. What was happening that triggered this? What were you feeling? Did eatting help?
- Jesus said, “Life is more than food”. If God were sitting there talking to you as a friend at that stress-eatting moment, what might God have encouraged you to do instead of eat?
- Read the following passages. The Lord often compares Himself, His Word, and His grace to food. Why do you think that is?
- Matthew 5:6 – Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for rightesouness, for they shall be satisfied.
- John 6:35 – Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life. Whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in Me shall never thirst.”
- So sometimes our hearts have needs and we go to physical food for comfort. It is a quick, easy, and very temporary, often unsatisfying fix. What is God’s promise if we are willing to go to Him and wrestle with Him in His Word to address our heart’s needs?
- Today there has been a recent panic of running out of basic foods and other necessities. For others, there has been anxiety of not being able to provide those basic necessities through loss of job or money. Return to Luke 12:22-34. If you have felt some of that anxiety or panic, what comfort does God have for you?
CLOSE WITH THE LORD’S PRAYER, LUTHER’S MORNING OR EVENING PRAYER, or a PRAYER OF YOUR OWN.
January 21, 2021
January 14, 2021
January 07, 2021